Re: [HACKERS] WIP Patch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Marina Polyakova <m(dot)polyakova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] WIP Patch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors
Date: 2018-11-19 19:54:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Alvaro,

> I also think that the pgbench_error() patch should go in before the main
> one. It seems a bit pointless to introduce code using a bad API only to
> fix the API together with all the new callers immediately afterwards.

I'm not that keen on this part of the patch, because ISTM that introduces
significant and possibly costly malloc/free cycles when handling error,
which do not currently exist in pgbench.

Previously an error was basically the end of the script, but with the
feature being introduced by Marina some errors are handled, in which case
we end up with paying these costs in the test loop. Also, refactoring
error handling is not necessary for the new feature. That is why I advised
to move it away and possibly keep it for later.

Related to Marina patch (triggered by reviewing the patches), I have
submitted a refactoring patch which aims at cleaning up the internal state
machine, so that additions and checking that all is well is simpler.

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/20/1754/

It has been reviewed, I think I answered to the reviewer concerns, but the
reviewer did not update the patch state on the cf app, so I do not know
whether he is unsatisfied or if it was just forgotten.

--
Fabien.