Re: [HACKERS] pgbench - allow to store select results into variables

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pgbench - allow to store select results into variables
Date: 2018-08-14 11:38:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Andrew,

> It's not done by my MUA, and it's present in your latest posted patch. If
> anything I'd suspect your MUA:
>
> andrew(at)emma*$ curl -s
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/64237/pgbench-into-19.patch

Argh. Indeed, this downloaded version has CRLF. Now when I save the
attachment in my MUA, I only have LF... Let us look at the raw format:

ZGlmZiAtLWdpdCBhL2RvYy9zcmMvc2dtbC9yZWYvcGdiZW5jaC5zZ21sIGIv
ZG9jL3NyYy9zZ21sL3JlZi9wZ2JlbmNoLnNnbWwNCmluZGV4IDg4Y2Y4YjM5

Where you immediatly see that it has indeed CRLF at the end of the second
line:-).

So you are right, and my trusted mailer is encoding *AND* decoding
silently.

Why would it do that? After some googling, this is because RFC 2046 (MIME)
says you "MUST":

So I'm right in the end, and the whole world is wrong, which is a
relief:-)

As I cannot except everybody to have a RFC 2046 compliant MUA, and after
some meddling in "/etc/mime.types", I now have:

ZGlmZiAtLWdpdCBhL2RvYy9zcmMvc2dtbC9yZWYvcGdiZW5jaC5zZ21sIGIv
ZG9jL3NyYy9zZ21sL3JlZi9wZ2JlbmNoLnNnbWwKaW5kZXggODhjZjhiMzkz

Which is much better:-)

I re-attached the v19 for a check on the list.

--
Fabien.

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgbench-into-19.patch application/octet-stream 25.4 KB