Re: pgbench: improve --help and --version parsing

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Andrei Korigodski <akorigod(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench: improve --help and --version parsing
Date: 2018-07-26 22:42:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I do not understand what you mean by "reduce that to one single test". I
>> cannot see how to test stdouts equalities and contents' sanity in one single
>> test.
>
> I was wondering about reducing the number of tests to a strict minimum.
> At the end I think that I would just remove most of the tests you are
> adding here, they seem rather noisy..

Ok, if you remove tests, it can be done in less tests, obviously.

ISTM that some minimal sanity on the output would be useful. If some
minimal common format is assumed, one re could check that the name of the
program appears, and a few options are indeed describe. That could make
one "like" test.

--
Fabien.