Re: pgbench-ycsb

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: a(dot)bykov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench-ycsb
Date: 2018-07-22 13:56:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Just to clarify - if I understand Anthony correctly, this proposal is not about
> implementing exactly YCSB as it is, but more about using zipfian distribution
> for an id in the regular pgbench table structure in conjunction with read/write
> balance to simulate something similar to it.

Ok, I misunderstood. My 0.02€: If it does not implement YCSB, and the
point is not to implement YCSB, then do not call it YCSB:-)

Maybe there could be other simpler builtins to use non uniform
distributions: {zipf,exp,...}-{simple,select} and default values
(exp_param, zipf_param?) for the random distribution parameters.

\set id random_zipfian(1, 100000*:scale, :zipf_param)
\set val random(-5000, 5000)
UPDATE pgbench_whatever ...;

Then

pgbench -b zipf-se(at)1 -b zipf-si(at)1 [ -D zipf_param=1.1 ... ] -T 10000 ...

> And probably instead of implementing the exact YCSB workload inside pgbench, it
> makes more sense to add PostgreSQL Jsonb as one of the options into the
> framework itself (I was in the middle of it few years ago, but then was
> distracted by some interesting benchmarking results).

Sure.

--
Fabien.