Re: Desirability of client-side expressions in psql?

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net, andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Desirability of client-side expressions in psql?
Date: 2018-07-10 21:36:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Corey,

>> psql> \if :i >= 5
>>
> I think we're ok with that so long as none of the operators or values has a
> \ in it.
> What barriers do you see to re-using the pgbench grammar?

The pgbench expression grammar mimics SQL expression grammar,
on integers, floats, booleans & NULL.

I'm unsure about some special cases in psql (`shell command`,
'text' "identifier"). They can be forbidden on a new commande (\let),
but what happens on "\if ..." which I am afraid allows them is unclear.

--
Fabien.