Re: Add some const decorations to prototypes

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Add some const decorations to prototypes
Date: 2017-11-04 20:50:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Just leave it as char*. If you change the endptr argument you're going to
>> force every call site to change their return variable, and some of them
>> would end up having to cast away the const on their end.
>
> OK, here is an updated patch with the controversial bits removed.

I'm in general favor in helping compilers, but if you have to cheat.

ISTM That there is still at least one strange cast:

+static const char **LWLockTrancheArray = NULL;
+ LWLockTrancheArray = (const char **) // twice

Maybe some function should return a "const char **", or the const is not
really justified?

--
Fabien.