Re: psql: new help related to variables are not too readable

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql: new help related to variables are not too readable
Date: 2017-09-14 05:15:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

>> Personnally I'm fine with a pager, so vertical spacing is fine. I just do
>> not like paging horizontally.
>
> ​-1​ [...]
>
> ​If I was going to try and read it like a book I'd want the extra
> white-space to make doing so easier (white-space gives the eye a breather
> when done with a particular concept) - and the length wouldn't really
> matter since I'd just make a single pass and be done with it. But the
> planned usage is for quick lookup of options that you know (or at least
> suspect) exist and which you probably have an approximate idea of how they
> are spelled. The all-caps and left-justified block headers are distinct
> enough to scan down - though I'd consider indenting 4 spaces instead of 2
> to make that even easier (less effort to ignore the indented lines since
> ignoring nothing is easier than ignoring something).​ Having more fit on
> one screen makes that vertical skimming considerably easier as well (no
> break and re-acquire when scrolling in a new page).

Interesting and fine arguments!

> So I'll agree that in an absolute sense reading the whole of the content in
> its condensed form is more difficult than if there were blank lines in
> between each block, but usability for the intended purpose is better in the
> current form.

As far as usability is concerned, I most often use the "/" pager search
feature, or page down to scan everything. Both uses are not really
hampered by skipping lines, but I can leave with that as well.

Help formatting could be an option, but that would require more coding and
I'm not sure of the i18n aspect.

--
Fabien.