Re: psql: new help related to variables are not too readable

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql: new help related to variables are not too readable
Date: 2017-09-08 05:25:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

>> PSQL_HISTORY alternative location for the command history file
>>
>> I would prefer to revert to that more compact 9.6-formatting.
>
> There was a problem with line width .. its hard to respect 80 chars

Yes.

Scrolling in two dimensions because it does not fit either way is not too
practical, so the idea was the it should at least fit a reasonable
terminal in the horizontal dimension, the vertical one having been
unfittable anyway for a long time.

Once you want to do strict 80 columns, a lot of/most descriptions do not
fit and need to be split somehow on two lines, one way or another. It
seemed that

XXXXXXX
xxxx xxx xx xxx xxx xxxx

Is a good way to do that systematically and with giving more space and
chance for a description to fit in its line. ISTM that it was already done
like for environment variables, so it is also for homogeneity.

It also simplify work for translators that can just follow the same
formatting and know what to do if a one line English explanation does
not fit once translated.

Finally, as vertical scrolling is mandatory, I would be fine with skipping
lines with entries for readability, but it is just a matter of taste and I
expect there should be half a dozen different opinions on the matter of
formatting.

--
Fabien.