Re: proposal psql \gdesc

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Brent Douglas <brent(dot)n(dot)douglas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal psql \gdesc
Date: 2017-06-04 08:47:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Brent,

> Regarding the error message earlier

> 'No columns or command has no result',

> it might be clearer with the slightly longer

> 'The result has no columns or the command has no result'.

I agree that a better phrasing may be possible.

I'm hesitating about this one because word "result" appears twice, but
this is the underlying issue, maybe there is no result, or there is a
result but it is empty... so somehow this might be unavoidable. On
rereading it, I think that your sentence is better balance as the two
cases have both a verb and a structured the same, so it seems better.

Another terser version could be: 'No or empty result' or 'Empty or no
result', but maybe it is too terse.

> I didn't read the patch though, just the email so that might not make
> sense in context.

Thanks for the suggestion!

--
Fabien.