Re: PATCH: psql show index with type info

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Amos Bird <amosbird(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: psql show index with type info
Date: 2017-04-18 02:34:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Done.

Ok. The file should be named "v2".

> Would you like to be the reviewer?

Dunno. At least I wanted to have a look at it!

My 0.02€:

I think that the improvement provided is worthwhile.

Two questions: Why no documentation update? Why no non-regressions
tests?

As far as the output is concerned, ISTM that "btree index", "hash index"
and so would sound nicer than "index: sub-type".

I'm wondering about the sub-query implementation: Maybe an outer join
could bring the same result with a more relational & elegant query.

The "gettext_noop" call does not seem to make sense: the point is to
translate the string, and there is no way to translate "index: <some sub
query>". The result of the query should be translated if this is what is
wanted, and that can only be by hand:

CASE amname || ' index'
WHEN 'hash index' THEN '%s' ...
WHEN ...
ELSE amname || ' index' # untranslated...
END

gettext_noop('hash index') # get translation for 'hash index'

Fabien.