Re: pgbench - allow to store select results into variables

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, rafia(dot)sabih(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com, Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench - allow to store select results into variables
Date: 2017-04-08 20:24:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Tatsuo-san,

>>> If I understand correctly, the patch is moved because of the unrelated
>>> issue that variables cannot be utf8 in pgbench, and it is a condition
>>> to consider this patch that existing pgbench variables (set with \set)
>>> can be utf8?
>>
>> I'm not sure if it is "unrelated" because the new feature relies on
>> existing pgbench variable infrastructure.
>
> Sure. I meant that the constraint on variable names exists before the patch
> and the patch is not related to variable names, but the patch is about
> variables, obviously.
>
> As "psql" variables can be utf8 and that the same scanner is used, but the
> variables values are not stritcly the same (they are typed in pgbench), I'm
> wondering whether the effort should be do share more code/abstraction between
> psql & pgbench or just adjust/replicate the needed small functions/code
> excerpts.

As the variable infrastructures are pretty different between psql &
pgbench (typed vs untyped values, sorted array vs linked list data
structure, no hook vs 2 hooks, name spaces vs no such thing...), I have
chosen the simplest option of just copying the name checking function and
extending the lexer to authorize non-ascii letters, so that psql/pgbench
would accept the same variable names with the same constraint about
encodings.

See patch attached & test script.

--
Fabien.

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgbench-utf8-vars-1.sql application/x-sql 2.8 KB
pgbench-utf8-vars.sql application/x-sql 101 bytes