Re: \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: PSQL commands: \quit_if, \quit_unless)

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, PostgreSQL <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: PSQL commands: \quit_if, \quit_unless)
Date: 2017-03-30 07:20:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Tom,

>> Patch applies cleanly. Make check ok. Feature still works!

Idem for v30.

> [...] Aside from cosmetic changes, I've made it behave reasonably for
> cases where \if is used on portions of a query, for instance
>
> SELECT
> \if :something
> var1
> \else
> var2
> \endif
> FROM table;

This is commendable, but I would not have bothered, although it is more
cpp-like with it.

A small issue I see is that I was planning to add such an if syntax to
pgbench (well, at least if I succeed in getting boolean expressions and
setting variables, which is just a maybe), but this kind of if in the
middle of expression does not make much sense for a pgbench script where
"if" must be evaluated at execution time, not parse time.

> which as I mentioned a long time ago is something that people will
> certainly expect to work.

I would not have expected it to work, but indeed other people could.
Sometimes I try something with pg and it does not work as I hoped. That is
life.

> I also cleaned up a lot of corner-case discrepancies between how much
> text is consumed in active-branch and inactive-branch cases (OT_FILEPIPE
> is a particularly nasty case in that regard :-()

Indeed.

> I plan to read this over again tomorrow and then push it, if there are
> not objections/corrections.

My small objection is that an eventual if in pgbench, with a separate
parsing and execution, will not work in the middle of queries as this one.
Do you think that such a discrepancy would be admissible.

--
Fabien.