Re: proposal: session server side variables

From: Fabien COELHO <fabien(dot)coelho(at)mines-paristech(dot)fr>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Subject: Re: proposal: session server side variables
Date: 2017-01-05 09:59:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> Good. So we seem to agree that GUCS are transactional?
>
> I'm surprised, I never knew this.

I must admit that it was also a (good) surprise for me.

The documentation says it:

"""
If SET (or equivalently SET SESSION) is issued within a transaction that
is later aborted, the effects of the SET command disappear when the
transaction is rolled back. Once the surrounding transaction is committed,
the effects will persist until the end of the session, unless overridden
by another SET.
"""

But I have not found anything clear about user-defined parameters.

--
Fabien.