Re: PSQL commands: \quit_if, \quit_unless

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PSQL commands: \quit_if, \quit_unless
Date: 2016-12-06 13:45:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Robert,

>> Your experience as an seasoned core developer and a committer is
>> probably different:-)
>
> Well, everybody can have their own opinion on what is reasonable.

Sure.

> There are times I argue for making a patch smaller (frequent) and
> times when I argue for making it bigger (rare).

Yep.

> We had pretty much this exact same argument about the pgbench lexer and
> parser and in the event I coded something up in less than a day. This
> argument feels like a rerun of that one.

There are some differences: pgbench already had one operator at a time
expressions, while psql has survived till today with none, which suggest a
less pressing need.

Moreover the features are partly orthogonal and would touch psql
significantly in different although probably overlapping areas:
- expressions is rather about \set, even if reused with \if as well
- condition is about \if ... \endif and ignoring some input lines

The current expression evaluation in pgbench is about 1000 lines for
scanning, parsing & evaluating, and does not yet support boolean
expressions, although a patch for that has been in the queue for some
time. I foresee that someone will suggest/require/demand... that the
expression code be shared between pgbench and psql, which is another
argument for dissociating these two features (expression and conditional
in psql) from the start.

--
Fabien.