Re: pgbench stats per script & other stuff

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench stats per script & other stuff
Date: 2016-03-20 06:39:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Jeff,

> So I wanted to do something like:
>
> for f in `seq 0 5 100`; do
> pgbench -T 180 -c8 -j8 -b tpcb-like(at)$f -b select-only(at)100
> done;
>
> But, I'm not allowed to specify a weight of zero.

Indeed. I did not envision such a use case, but it is quite legitimate and
interesting! I would hope that the behavior would be a linear combination
of the raw performance of each script, but whether it is indeed the case
is not that sure.

> Would this be a welcome change?

Speaking for myself, I would be fine with such a change, provided:

- that it does work:-) I'm not sure what happens by the script selection
process, it should be checked carefully because it was not designed
with allowing a zero weight, and it may depend on its/their positions.
It may already work, but it really needs checking.

- I would suggest that a warning is shown when a weight is zero,
something like "warning, script #%d weight is zero, will be ignored".

- the documentation should be updated:-)

--
Fabien