Re: pgbench stats per script & other stuff

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench stats per script & other stuff
Date: 2015-07-22 05:05:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Robert,

>> Pgbench *currently* already accept multiple "-f ..." options, and this is a
>> good thing to test realistic loads which may intermix several kind of
>> transactions, say a lot of readonly and some update or insert, and very rare
>> deletes...
>
> Hmm, I didn't realize that. The code looks a bit inconsistent right
> now - e.g. we do support multiple files, but pgbench's options-parsing
> loop sets ttype to a value that depends only on the last of -f, -N,
> and -S encountered.

Indeed. However as with current pgbench <nothing>/-N/-S and -f are
mutually exclusive it is ok to have ttype set as it is.

With the patch pgbench just executes scripts and the options are not
mutually exclusive: some scripts are internal and others are not, but they
are treated the same beyond initialization, which helps removing some code
including the "ttype" variable you mention. The name of the script is kept
in an SQLScript struct along with its commands, weight and stats.

--
Fabien.