Re: BUG #12379: pgbench should hint to pgbench -i

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>
Cc: mail(at)bwe(dot)im, PostgreSQL Bugs List <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #12379: pgbench should hint to pgbench -i
Date: 2015-05-21 08:10:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello Oleksandr,

>> HINT: is "foo" the right database? did you initialize first (pgbench -i)?
>
> I don't think there is precedent for spitting out "HINT:" in client code
> (at least grep didn't find it). So this message might look like it's
> coming from the server, while it doesn't.

I do not see that as a problem. From my point of view a "HINT" is just
what it is, and the message says clearly that it comes from pgbench.

> I think the following is closer to pre-existing experience, IMO:
> + fprintf(stderr, "Is \"%s\" the right database? Did you initialize it first (pgbench -i)?\n", dbName);

Hmmm. I liked to have a prefix on the line, that gives a purpose to the
sentence. Maybe:

HINT (pgbench): Is "foo" the right database? Did you initialize (-i) first?

Or

pgbench: ...

Or

pgbench HINT: ...