Re: PATCH: pgbench allow '=' in \set

From: Fabien COELHO <fabien(dot)coelho(at)mines-paristech(dot)fr>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: pgbench allow '=' in \set
Date: 2015-05-14 07:20:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Robert,

>> Also, having ";" as a end of commands could also help by allowing multiline
>> commands, but that would break compatibility. Maybe allowing continuations
>> (\\\n) would be an acceptable compromise.

> I loathe violently the convention of using a backslash at the end of a
> line, because it's too easy to write backslash-space-newline or
> backslash-tab-newline when you meant to write backslash-newline. But
> maybe we should do it anyway. We certainly need some solution to that
> problem, because the status quo is monumentally annoying, and that might
> be the least bad solution available.

I survive with that in bash/make/python...

> Another option, breaking backward compatibility, would be to decide
> that backslash commands have to be terminated by a semicolon token.

I do not like it much, as it is inconsistent/incompatible with "psql".

> [...] multi-line SQL queries. If we wanted to make that work, the best
> option might be to duplicate the backend lexer into pgbench just as we
> already do with psql. [...]
>
> I somewhat lean toward this second option, because I think it will be
> a lot more convenient in the long run. We'll probably get some
> complains about breaking people's pgbench scripts, but I'd personally
> be prepared to accept that as the price of progress.

For an actual lexer: currently there is no real lexer for SQL commands in
pgbench, the line is just taken as is, so that would mean adding another
one, although probably a simplified one would do.

To conclude, I'm rather for continuations, despite their ugliness, because
(1) it is much easier (just a very small change in read_line_from_file)
and (2) it is backward compatible, so no complaints handle.

--
Fabien.