Re: add modulo (%) operator to pgbench

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add modulo (%) operator to pgbench
Date: 2014-09-25 07:55:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Robert,

> I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Probably. I tend to try the minimum effort first.

> I implemented this today in about three hours. The patch is attached.

Great!

Your patch is 544 lines, my size evaluation was quite good:-)

Note that I probably spent 10 minutes on the 10 lines patch, but I
probably spent hours writing mails about it.

> It needs more testing, documentation, and possibly some makefile
> adjustments, but it seems to basically work.

I'll try to do that, but not in the short term.

Note that the modulo is not the one I need, but probably I can make do
with an abs() function and/or a conditional.

--
Fabien.