Re: pgbench throttling latency limit

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Rukh Meski <rukh(dot)meski(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench throttling latency limit
Date: 2014-09-11 12:36:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Heikki,

> Now that I've finished the detour and committed and backpatched the changes
> to the way latency is calculated, we can get back to this patch. It needs to
> be rebased.

Before rebasing, I think that there are a few small problems with the
modification applied to switch from an integer range to double.

(1) ISTM that the + 0.5 which remains in the PoissonRand computation comes
from the previous integer approach and is not needed here. If I'm not
mistaken the formula should be plain:

-log(uniform) * center

(2) I'm not sure of the name "center", I think that "lambda" or
"mean" would be more appropriate.

(3) I wish that the maximum implied multiplier could be explicitely
documented in the source code. From pg_rand48 source code, I think
that it is 33.27106466687737

--
Fabien.