Re: postgresql latency & bgwriter not doing its job

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql latency & bgwriter not doing its job
Date: 2014-08-27 14:50:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

> If all you want is to avoid the write storms when fsyncs start happening on
> slow storage, can you not just adjust the kernel vm.dirty* tunables to
> start making the kernel write out dirty buffers much sooner instead of
> letting them accumulate until fsyncs force them out all at once?

I can try, when I have finished with the current round of testing.

Note that, as Andres put it, it currently "sucks". Having to tinker with
linux kernel parameters just to handle a small load without being offline
10% of the time does not look very good, so even if it works, ISTM that a
pg side solution is desirable.

--
Fabien.