Re: run xmllint during build (was Re: need xmllint on borka)

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: run xmllint during build (was Re: need xmllint on borka)
Date: 2014-08-21 09:31:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Also, a general comment, which is independent of this patch: I found the
> documentation build especially not resilient, with a lack of clear error
> messages when something is broken. Basically, if configure does not found
> something for the doc (openjade, osx, xmllint, ...) it does not complain.
> That is fine with me, people would not always want to build the doc anyway as
> it is available online. However, the Makefile in doc/src/sgml overrides the
> not found commands (ifndef JADE JADE=..., etc), and proceed to unhelpful and
> unclear errors later on. ISTM that it may be more helful to do:

To be more constructive:

Maybe all commands could have a check counterpart added to the
dependencies, so as to fail gracefully only if needed, something like:

.check_XXX:
if type -p $(XXX) > /dev/null ; then touch $@ ; else \
echo "command $(XXX) not found"; exit 1 ; \
fi

foo: .check_XXX

I'm not sure how to check for the docbook style availability though.

--
Fabien.