BUG - broken "make check" if different options

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: BUG - broken "make check" if different options
Date: 2014-07-26 08:44:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

As I was investing playing around with blocksize, I noticed that some test
cases under "make check" vary depending on compilation parameters, as
they:

- do not order the result of queries, thus are not deterministic
[join, with]

- output query plans which differ depending on some parameters
[updatable_views, union, select_views]

Thus "make check" fails.

sh> ./configure --blocksize=4
sh> make
sh> make check
5 of 144 tests failed.

Adding some "ORDER BY" should solve the first issue, but ISTM that testing
the output of query plans is a lost case for determinism, so maybe these
test cases should be ignored/skipped when parameters are different.

--
Fabien.