Re: gaussian distribution pgbench

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: KONDO Mitsumasa <kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: gaussian distribution pgbench
Date: 2014-03-13 19:21:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> We should do the same discussion for the UI of command-line option? The
> patch adds two options --gaussian and --exponential, but this UI seems
> to be a bit inconsistent with the UI for \setrandom.
> Instead, we can use something like --distribution=[uniform | gaussian |
> exponential].

Hmmm. That is possible, obviously.

Note that it does not need to resort to a custom script, if one can do
something like "--define=exp_threshold=5.6". If so, maybe one simpler
named variable could be used, say "threshold", instead of separate names
for each options.

However there is a catch: currently the option allows to check that the
threshold is large enough so as to avoid loops in the generator. So this
mean moving the check in the generator, and doing it over and over.
Possibly this is a good idea, because otherwise a custom script could
circumvent the check. Well, the current status is that the check can be
avoided with --define...

Also, a shorter possibly additional name, would be nice, maybe something
like: --dist=exp|gauss|uniform? Not sure. I like long options not to be
too long.

--
Fabien.