Re: Best suiting OS

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure(at)free(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best suiting OS
Date: 2009-10-08 13:40:53
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009, Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
> Go for Debian:
> * It is a free community, very active.
> * It is guaranteed to be upgradable.
> * Very easy to administrate via apt-get.

http://www.debian.org/News/2009/20091007

If you like Debian, but want to use FreeBSD, now you can have both.

> Choose Debian SID or testing, which will provide the latest fixes.

I disagree. If you want a stable server, choose Debian stable, which was
last released in February. It gets all the relevant fixes, just like any
other supported stable distribution - just no new major versions of
software. The next stable release is scheduled for the new year.

If you want the latest and greatest, then you can use Debian testing.

Matthew

--
The surest protection against temptation is cowardice.
-- Mark Twain