Re: slow update of index during insert/copy

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: slow update of index during insert/copy
Date: 2008-09-02 12:29:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, Scott Carey wrote:
> Thanks for the info on the patch to support it -- however the versions
> posted there are rather old...

Over here, we're using an extremely old patched version of the JDBC
driver. That's the patch I sent to some mailing list a couple of years
ago. It works very well, but I would be very eager to see the COPY support
make it to the mainstream driver with a consistent interface.

> On the performance impact of using COPY instead of INSERT.

Over here, we use the binary form of COPY, and it is *really* fast. It's
quite easy to saturate the discs.

Matthew

--
Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It just happens to be
very selective about who its friends are. -- Kyle Hearn