Re: select on 22 GB table causes "An I/O error occured while sending to the backend." exception

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: select on 22 GB table causes "An I/O error occured while sending to the backend." exception
Date: 2008-08-28 20:29:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Craig James wrote:
> If your processes do use the memory, then your performance goes into the
> toilet, and you know it's time to buy more memory or a second server,
> but in the mean time your server processes at least keep running while
> you kill the rogue processes.

I'd argue against swap ALWAYS being better than overcommit. It's a choice
between your performance going into the toilet or your processes dieing.

On the one hand, if someone fork-bombs you, the OOM killer has a chance of
solving the problem for you, rather than you having to log onto an
unresponsive machine to kill the process yourself. On the other hand, the
OOM killer may kill the wrong thing. Depending on what else you use your
machine for, either of the choices may be the right one.

Another point is that from a business perspective, a database that has
stopped responding is equally bad regardless of whether that is because
the OOM killer has appeared or because the machine is thrashing. In both
cases, there is a maximum throughput that the machine can handle, and if
requests appear quicker than that the system will collapse, especially if
the requests start timing out and being retried.

This problem really is caused by the kernel not having enough information
on how much memory a process is going to use. I would be much in favour of
replacing fork() with some more informative system call. For example,
forkandexec() instead of fork() then exec() - the kernel would know that
the new process will never need any of that duplicated RAM. However, there
is *far* too much legacy in the old fork() call to change that now.

Likewise, I would be all for Postgres managing its memory better. It would
be very nice to be able to set a maximum amount of work-memory, rather
than a maximum amount per backend. Each backend could then make do with
however much is left of the work-memory pool when it actually executes
queries. As it is, the server admin has no idea how many multiples of
work-mem are going to be actually used, even knowing the maximum number of
backends.

Matthew

--
Of course it's your fault. Everything here's your fault - it says so in your
contract. - Quark