Re: Postgres replication

From: david(at)lang(dot)hm
To: Gernot Schwed <Gernot(dot)Schwed(at)onvista-group(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres replication
Date: 2008-04-30 20:47:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Gernot Schwed wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> looking for a HA master/master or master/slave replication solution. Our
> setup consists of two databases and we want to use them both for queries.
>

> Aside from pgpool II there seems no advisable replication solution. But
> the problem seems to be that we will have a single point of failure with
> pgpool. slony also has the disadvantage not to cover a real failover
> solution. Are there any other manageable and well tested tools/setups for
> our scenario?

I'm about to setup a similar config and what I was intending to do is to
run pgpool on both boxes and use heartbeat (from http://linux-ha.org ) to
move an IP address from one box to the other. clients connect to this
virtual IP and then pgpool will distribute the connections to both systems
from there.

David Lang