Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove "fmgr.h" include in cube contrib --- caused crash on a Ge

From: Jeremy Drake <pgsql(at)jdrake(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove "fmgr.h" include in cube contrib --- caused crash on a Ge
Date: 2011-09-04 07:13:53
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011, Tom Lane wrote:

> Jeremy Drake <jeremyd(at)jdrake(dot)com> writes:
> > I didn't see any changes that looked like they affected
> > CurrentMemoryContext, but I attached the compressed context diff in case
> > you want to look at it.
>
> Right now I have a feeling that this is a compiler bug.

That's my feeling, also.

> Don't know
> whether you have the interest/energy to try to reduce it to a reportable
> test case.

If you mean reporting it to the compiler vendor (Intel), I doubt that
would be worthwhile. The version of the compiler on this machine is very
out of date. It is version 9.0 20060222. I would bet that if I did track
down and report an issue in a 5-year-old compiler version, their first
question would be, does the issue duplicate in the current version. Given
that my other buildfarm member is running 11.1 20100414 (albeit for the
x64 platform instead of the x86) and had no issue, I would expect that the
current x86 version would also have no problem.

I have intentionally been keeping the compiler versions on my buildfarm
members pretty much fixed, for the benefit of reproducable results.
However, I would be interested in hearing any guidelines on "how old is
too old" for buildfarm member versions.