Re: Binary protocol support for JDBC

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Radosław Smogura <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Binary protocol support for JDBC
Date: 2010-07-20 19:20:16
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Rados?aw Smogura wrote:

> I partially, and for "test", implemented retrieval data in binary mode
> (instead of text mode) for some Jdbc2 types, because I see great performance
> boost (25% - 50%) on implemented types I think about including this work to
> main JDBC branch.

Are you aware of the existing work in this area?

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/JDBC-BinaryTransfer

> This should be done without problem, because I added binary parameter to
> Connection and Datasources, so user can decide to use binary mode
> retrieve or current text mode (default). Currently I implemented
> retrieve of short, int, long, date and BigDecimal. Other simple and
> basic types, used in typically application I will implement shortly.

One of the difficulties in the existing patch is knowing when to request
binary transfer and when to request text transfer because for the first
execution the datatypes are not known. How have you addressed
this problem?

Kris Jurka