Re: Found a Bug in latest Driver (I THINK) and pg 8.4

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Jason Tesser <jasontesser(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-jdbc <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Found a Bug in latest Driver (I THINK) and pg 8.4
Date: 2010-06-01 20:34:42
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, Jason Tesser wrote:

> The issue with teh driver is that when you use a composite type as an INPUT
> parameter of a STored Proc teh Driver queries the pg_catalog but from what I
> can tell has no way of telling what schema to query for.

Right, the JDBC driver's internal knowledge of types has no information
about schemas or the search path. It currently assumes the name alone is
a unique identifier. Fixing this to respect the search path wouldn't be
that tough by using the regtype type, but we want to cache this
information to avoid repeated type lookups, so it wouldn't change as the
search_path changed. The other approach to fixing things would be to
allow the user to specify the schema with the type name, but I don't think
people want to do that because the schema may not be known to the
application.

Kris Jurka