Re: PATCH: SET ROLE as connection parameter

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: "JUNG, Christian" <christian(dot)jung(at)saarstahl(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PATCH: SET ROLE as connection parameter
Date: 2009-09-02 16:30:03
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, JUNG, Christian wrote:

> here's a small patch to set the role at connection time (parameter
> "role"). The patch was made against the current CVS-version.

1) Can this be done in the V3 ConnectionFactoryImpl's sendStartupPacket by
adding it to the params array? If so that would save a network roundtrip
per connection that used this option.

2) It doesn't have Datasource support. Any option that can be set via the
URL should also be settable on a Datasource.

3) In the past people have asked to be able to set other GUC parameters
(search_path, optimizer hints, ...) and we've resisted because we didn't
want to support some, but not all of these options. If we're going to do
this one, we should probably bite the bullet and do search_path as well
because that's a pretty commonly requested item.

Kris Jurka