Re: RFC: Hosting mailing lists of 3rd party projects

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)chesnok(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, PostgreSQL - WWW ML <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-02-25 17:26:15
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 23:27 -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
>>> ... hey, but then, I think Mailman has an option to not do the pipermail
>>> stuff and just stash the archives in mboxes just like Majordomo. That
>>> would let us handle both things together. If that really works, maybe
>>> the archive part wouldn't be that problematic after all. (But I'm not
>>> gonna moderate any Mailman crap.)
>>
>> My experience with Mailman is exactly that also ... it is great for the
>> end user, but crap from an admin side fo things, especially if you want to
>> do sstuff from the command line ...'
>
> That isn't my experience at all. I can do anything from the command
> line, from templates, to archive management, to manual subscription
> etc... and we (CMD) have hundreds of mailman lists.

Its all what one gets used to, I guess .. I can do alot of stuff with
mysql that I can't with postgresql (ie. run wordpress) ... doesnt' mean
I'm going to start a general adoption of that ...

We run Mj2 here ... we have for 15 years now and it works ... we have two
ppl here that know it, and the documentation for Mj2 is such that anyone
with half a clue could get up to speed on it fairly fast ...

Due to lack of foresight on my part, I hadn't offered/given Alvaro access
... not through lack of confidence in his ability to manage it, only
because I never thought of it, and nobody else mentioned it before ... am
working to rectify that ...

----
Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy(at)hub(dot)org http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ:7615664 MSN:scrappy(at)hub(dot)org