Re: make installcheck-world in a clean environment

From: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make installcheck-world in a clean environment
Date: 2018-05-04 12:30:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

04.05.2018 14:58, Robert Haas wrote:

Thanks for your involvement!

> Your proposed fix involves inventing something called
> USE_INSTALLED_ASSETS, but we don't need that anywhere else, so why do
> we need it for ECPG?
We need that not only for ECPG, but for libpostgres, libpgport, and
libpq too, if we want to check the installed ones (instead of recompiled).
Imagine that we will recompile psql (and use it) to perform installcheck
for the server instance. It will work but we'll miss an opportunity to
check whether the installed psql is working. I believe, it's the same
with ecpg (as now, we can even remove installed ecpg and have all the
tests passed).
> I am not opposed to fixing this, but one might also ask whether it's a
> good use of time, since the workaround is straightforward.

I'm not seeing a workaround to perform more complete installcheck
without modifying makefiles. So for me the question is whether the
increasing the testing surface justifies this use of time.

Best regards,

------
Alexander Lakhin
The Russian Postgres Company