Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs?

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs?
Date: 2022-04-09 16:14:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/9/22 11:58 AM, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 09, 2022 at 10:31:17AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org> writes:
>>
>>> I would think that if \dconfig showed the non-default settings only,
>>> it would be much more useful; the full list would still be available
>>> with "\dconfig *". This is in line with \dt only showing tables on the
>>> search_path, and "\dt *.*" showing all.
>>
>> Hm, I could get on board with that -- any other opinions?
>
> +1 for it, that's often what I'm interested in when looking at the GUCs in
> general.

-1, at least for the moment. Sometimes a user doesn't know what they're
looking for coupled with being unaware of what the default value is. If
a setting is set to a default value and that value is the problematic
setting, a user should be able to see that even in a full list.

(The \dt searching only tables "search_path" vs. the database has also
bitten me too. I did ultimately learn about "\dt *.*", but this makes
the user have to unpack more layers to do simple things).

Jonathan