Re: Polyphase merge is obsolete

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Polyphase merge is obsolete
Date: 2022-11-19 11:00:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 18.10.21 14:15, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 05/10/2021 20:24, John Naylor wrote:
>> I've had a chance to review and test out the v5 patches.
>
> Thanks! I fixed the stray reference to PostgreSQL 14 that Zhihong
> mentioned, and pushed.

AFAICT, this thread updated the API of LogicalTapeSetCreate() in PG15,
but did not adequately update the function header comment. The comment
still mentions the "shared" argument, which has been removed. There is
a new "preallocate" argument that is not mentioned at all. Also, it's
not easy to match the actual callers to the call variants described in
the comment. Could someone who remembers this work perhaps look this
over and update the comment?