Re: [BUG]Update Toast data failure in logical replication

From: "Euler Taveira" <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
To: "Michael Paquier" <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "Dilip Kumar" <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Amit Kapila" <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, "Petr Jelinek" <petr(dot)jelinek(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Tomas Vondra" <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Andres Freund" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Kuntal Ghosh" <kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com>, "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUG]Update Toast data failure in logical replication
Date: 2022-01-24 18:55:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022, at 12:58 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> FWIW, I find the API changes of HeapDetermineModifiedColumns() and
> ExtractReplicaIdentity() a bit grotty. Shouldn't we try to flatten
> the old tuple instead? There are things like
> toast_flatten_tuple_to_datum() for this purpose if a tuple satisfies
> HeapTupleHasExternal(), or just heap_copy_tuple_as_datum().

I checked v4 and I don't like the HeapDetermineModifiedColumns() and
heap_tuple_attr_equals() changes either. It seems it is hijacking these
functions to something else. I would suggest to change the signature to

static void
heap_tuple_attr_equals(TupleDesc tupdesc, int attrnum,
HeapTuple tup1, HeapTuple tup2,
bool *is_equal, bool *key_has_external);

and

static void
HeapDetermineModifiedColumns(Relation relation, Bitmapset *interesting_cols,
HeapTuple oldtup, HeapTuple newtup,
Bitmapset *modified_attrs, bool *key_has_external);

I didn't figure out a cheap way to check if the key has external value other
than slightly modifying the HeapDetermineModifiedColumns() function and its
subroutine heap_tuple_attr_equals(). As Alvaro said I don't think adding
HeapTupleHasExternal() (as in v3) is a good idea because it does not optimize
genuine cases such as a table whose PK is an integer and contains a single
TOAST column.

Another suggestion is to keep key_changed and add another attribute
(key_has_external) to ExtractReplicaIdentity(). If we need key_changed in the
future we'll have to decompose it again. You also encapsulates that
optimization into the function that helps with future improvements/fixes.

static HeapTuple
ExtractReplicaIdentity(Relation relation, HeapTuple tp, bool key_changed,
bool key_has_external, bool *copy);

--
Euler Taveira
EDB https://www.enterprisedb.com/