Re: Allow parallel plan for referential integrity checks?

From: Frédéric Yhuel <frederic(dot)yhuel(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: "Gregory Stark (as CFM)" <stark(dot)cfm(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Allow parallel plan for referential integrity checks?
Date: 2023-03-20 15:48:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/20/23 15:58, Gregory Stark (as CFM) wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2022 at 11:37, Frédéric Yhuel <frederic(dot)yhuel(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> I've planned to work on it full time on week 10 (6-10 March), if you
>> agree to bear with me. The idea would be to bootstrap my brain on it,
>> and then continue to work on it from time to time.
>
> Any updates on this patch?

I had the opportunity to discuss it with Melanie Plageman when she came
to Paris last month and teach us (Dalibo's folk) about the patch review
process.

She advised me to provide a good test case first, and to explain better
how it would be useful, which I'm going to do.

> Should we move it to next release at this
> point? Even if you get time to work on it this commitfest do you think
> it's likely to be committable in the next few weeks?

It is very unlikely. Maybe it's better to remove it from CF and put it
back later if the test case I will provide does a better job at
convincing the Postgres folks that RI checks should be parallelized.