Re: Add explanations which are influenced by track_io_timing

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Atsushi Torikoshi <atorik(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add explanations which are influenced by track_io_timing
Date: 2020-05-13 14:27:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020/05/13 21:54, Atsushi Torikoshi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When track_io_timing is on, I/O timing information is
> displayed in pg_stat_database, in the output of EXPLAIN
> when the BUFFERS option is used, and in pg_stat_statements
> as documented in [1].
>
> This is also described in the manual for pg_stat_statements
> [2], however, manuals for pg_stat_database and EXPLAIN
> doesn't refer to it.
>
> I think it'll be better to add descriptions to both of them
> for consistency.
>
> Thoughts?

+1

+ in milliseconds(if <xref linkend="guc-track-io-timing"/> is enabled,
+ otherwise zero)

It's better to add a space character just after "seconds".

- written.
+ written. In addition, If <xref linkend="guc-track-io-timing"/> is enabled,
+ also include I/O Timings.

Isn't it better to just use clearer description like "the time reading and
writing data blocks" here instead of "I/O Timing"?
What about the attached patch based on yours?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
add_explanation_for_track_io_timing_v2.patch text/plain 1.9 KB