Re: Machine available for community use

From: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)myyearbook(dot)com>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Machine available for community use
Date: 2007-07-25 20:49:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

If RH can sponsor a license of RHEL I'm inclined to go there. Not
that it was offered, but I think Dave's suggestion was Tom could field
that for the box if inclined. If I'm wrong, let me know. If that
can't happen, would people prefer CentOS or Ubuntu Server? The people
I'm most concerned with are the people who will actually use it. If
you consider yourself one of those people, pipe in now, I will tally
votes and go from there. From a Gentoo side, I would have kept things
pretty stable, but I'd rather developers be comfortable with the
environment which will encourage you to use it. I'm not interested in
running Debian, which I'm happy to talk about off topic, in private,
if anyone cares enough to want to discuss it.

What I'm most interested in to touch on Simon's request is SMP
scaling. From another Hackers thread this month, which I can dig up,
I've walked away with the impression that after 4 cores, we don't see
the same level of per-processor performance improvement that we see <=
4 cores. What you actually do is up to you, we want to provide this
to the hacker community to use as they see fit to continue to improve
PostgreSQL which is integral to our operation. Any performance,
scalability or even advocacy efforts (read benchmarking) will benefit
myYearbook.

Gavin