Postgres perl module namespace

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres perl module namespace
Date: 2021-05-20 19:47:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

While solving a problem with the Beta RPMs, I noticed that they export
our perl test modules as capabilities like this:

[andrew(at)f34 x86_64]$ rpm -q --provides -p
postgresql14-devel-14-beta1_PGDG.fc34.x86_64.rpm | grep ^perl
perl(PostgresNode)
perl(PostgresVersion)
perl(RecursiveCopy)
perl(SimpleTee)
perl(TestLib)

I don't think we should be putting this stuff in a global namespace like
that. We should invent a namespace that's not likely to conflict with
other people, like, say, 'PostgreSQL::Test' to put these modules. That
would require moving some code around and adjusting a bunch of scripts,
but it would not be difficult. Maybe something to be done post-14?
Meanwhile I would suggest that RPM maintainers exclude both requires and
provides for these five names.

cheers

andrew

--