Re: Floating point comparison inconsistencies of the geometric types

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)cleverelephant(dot)ca>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Emre Hasegeli <emre(at)hasegeli(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Floating point comparison inconsistencies of the geometric types
Date: 2016-06-01 15:59:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/1/16 10:03 AM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> We don't depend on these, we have our own :/
> The real answer for a GIS system is to have an explicit tolerance
> parameter for calculations like distance/touching/containment, but
> unfortunately we didn't do that so now we have our own
> compatibility/boil the ocean problem if we ever wanted/were funded to
> add one.

Well it sounds like what's currently happening in Postgres is probably
going to change, so how might we structure that to help PostGIS? Would
simply lopping off the last few bits of the significand/mantissa work,
or is that not enough when different GRSes are involved?
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532) mobile: 512-569-9461