ODBC Cursor inserting records appears to lock the database

From: Stodge <stodge(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ODBC Cursor inserting records appears to lock the database
Date: 2010-11-12 19:49:22
Lists: pgsql-general

I have an external script (not maintained by me) that is using an ODBC
driver to insert data into one of my databases. The COMMIT appears to
take less than one second but closing the cursor takes 13s. It also
appears to be locking the database as a whole. Does this sound like a
feasible situation with cursors? I don't know why the script is using
cursors but next week I'll tackle the developer and ask if they can
try alternatives. Thanks