Re: pgbench - add pseudo-random permutation function

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hironobu SUZUKI <hironobu(at)interdb(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Subject: Re: pgbench - add pseudo-random permutation function
Date: 2020-01-30 17:43:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-01-05 10:02, Fabien COELHO wrote:

>> This patch was marked as RFC on 2019-03-30, but since then there have
>> been a couple more issues pointed out in a review by Thomas Munro, and
>> it went through 2019-09 and 2019-11 without any attention. Is the RFC
>> status still appropriate?
>
> Thomas review was about comments/documentation wording and asking for
> explanations, which I think I addressed, and the code did not actually
> change, so I'm not sure that the "needs review" is really needed, but do
> as you feel.

I read the whole thread, I still don't know what this patch is supposed
to do. I know what the words in the subject line mean, but I don't know
how this helps a pgbench user run better benchmarks. I feel this is
also the sentiment expressed by others earlier in the thread. You
indicated that this functionality makes sense to those who want this
functionality, but so far only two people, namely the patch author and
the reviewer, have participated in the discussion on the substance of
this patch. So either the feature is extremely niche, or nobody
understands it. I think you ought to take about three steps back and
explain this in more basic terms, even just in email at first so that we
can then discuss what to put into the documentation.