Re: getting support for developers

From: "Gabriele Bartolini" <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Oleg Bartunov" <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getting support for developers
Date: 2008-03-11 10:03:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Ciao Magnus,

I don't know if we can easily do that. I don't know if it's just in Sweden
> or if it's a EU-wide thing, but I think it's EU-wide. But i you cannot
> prove that you are a legal organisation as well, you end up basically
> being
> employed by PGEU in this case, which means that we have to pay a bunch of
> taxes and stuff. And the amount of paperwork to deal with is just
> insane...

I guess it all depends on international agreements between the contributor's
country (and jurisdicial form) and Postgres Europe's country, in this case
France.

I would assume that PGEU gathers money from sponsorships and decides how to
spend that money (which is a different issue). Buying code from developers
could be an activity. I would assume that in EU, VAT is not an issue. I do
not know with Russia, but I assume that taxes should be paid by each
contributors individually at the end of the year - not on the single
contract. In any case, a professional advisor is needed.

In general PGEU could commission a feature development to a developer or a
group (again, I do not want to consider for the moment the way to handle
this - which is a completely different problem), the developer invoices
PGEU, PGEU pays. :)

As an alternative, PGEU could setup a "shelf" of proposed features on the
website, and let "companies" buy it directly.

For instance:

1) Developer 1 says: I am willing to do this and I want 5k euro (gross) for
that.
2) PGEU posts this offer on the website in a dedicated area saying that
companies can sponsor that feature for 5k + X euro (X euro is decided by the
board and is the price for the company banner on the website shelf for the
period of development + 1 year after the completion)
3) The company that sponsors that:
* gets in touch with the developer 1 and organises the contract for 5k
euro
* pays another X euro to PGEU as a donation/sponsorship which puts up a
banner on the shelf saying that company X is sponsoring this feature and
allows the company to show a PG code sponsor on their web page

Of course this is just a rough idea, which needs a detailed analysis and
discussion within - at least - PGEU direction.

Ciao,
Gabriele