Re: Need for PostgreSQL demand?

From: "Gabriele Bartolini" <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need for PostgreSQL demand?
Date: 2007-11-02 08:15:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Ciao Josh,

2007/11/2, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>:

> Not that we *don't* need to promote PostgreSQL -- we always do -- but
> I'd avoid reading too much into this. Remember, they're only surveying
> *their* job listings, not job listings on the internet in general.

Yep, I understand that. That's why I wanted to know if there are similar
statistics available on the net.

One of the major concerns I often get from high school or university
students is that they "barely found PostgreSQL job advertised", hence they
prefer to invest on other RDBMS. I always reply with concepts like SQL
standard high compliance, transferrable skills, multi-platform availability
- which make a good impression. But still, when students see hundreds of
jobs for the competitors and barely none for PostgreSQL, it is very hard to
juggle with it. :)

And the *total* number of listings in the survey was apparently less than
> 100.

Mhhh ... I had not seen those numbers and yep ... if I sum them I get a
number slightly above 100 (supply)/below 100 (demand).

So, "sample error".

Yep. :)

Thanks,
Gabriele