Re: Extracting cross-version-upgrade knowledge from buildfarm client

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, pgbf(at)twiska(dot)com
Subject: Re: Extracting cross-version-upgrade knowledge from buildfarm client
Date: 2023-01-19 21:49:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-01-18 We 10:33, Tom Lane wrote:
>> fairwren and drongo are clean except for fairywren upgrading 9.6 to 11.
>> This appears to be a longstanding issue that the fuzz processing was
>> causing us to ignore. See for example
>> <https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=fairywren&dt=2022-09-01%2018%3A27%3A28&stg=xversion-upgrade-REL_10_STABLE-REL_11_STABLE>
> Interesting. I suspected that removing the fuzz allowance would teach
> us some things we hadn't known about.
>
>> I propose to add this to just the release 11 AdjustUpgrade.pm:
>>     # float4 values in this table on Msys can have precision differences
>>     # in representation between old and new versions
>>     if ($old_version < 10 && $dbnames{contrib_regression_btree_gist} &&
>>         $^O eq 'msys')
>>     {
>>         _add_st($result, 'contrib_regression_btree_gist',
>>                 'drop table if exists float4tmp');
>>     }
> Seems reasonable (but I wonder if you don't need "$old_version < 11").
> A nicer answer would be to apply --extra-float-digits=0 across the
> board, but pre-v12 pg_dump lacks that switch.

It turns out this was due to the fact that fairywren's setup changed
some time after the EOL of 9.6. I have rebuilt 9.6 and earlier
backbranches and there should now be no need for this adjustment.

There is still a Windows issue with MSVC builds <= 9.4 that I'm trying
to track down.

cheers

andrew

--