Re: How does filter order relate to query optimization?

From: "David Jaquay" <djaquay(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How does filter order relate to query optimization?
Date: 2007-03-28 16:39:58
Lists: pgsql-general

A really long time ago, on 2/27/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Usually what you want to think about for something
> like this is plan optimization, ie, what order are the tables joined in
> and with what join methods.

How exactly can you control the join order? I have cases where the
explain data indicates that the planner is picking a very inefficient
way to get the data, (i.e. joining two very big tables in their
entirety, then joining that to a 3rd with maybe 10 rows yielding maybe
30). I'd love to have some more determinacy in dealing with the
planner on complex queries...

Dave