Re: security_definer_search_path GUC

From: "Joel Jacobson" <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: security_definer_search_path GUC
Date: 2021-05-29 20:05:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Glad you bring this problem up for discussion, something should be done to improve the situation.

Personally, as I really dislike search_path and consider using it an anti-pattern.
I would rather prefer a GUC to hard-code search_path to a constant default value of just ‘public’ that cannot be changed by anyone or any function. Trying to change it to a different value would raise an exception.

This would work for me since I always fully-qualify all objects except the ones in public.

/Joel

On Thu, May 27, 2021, at 13:23, Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since writing SECURITY DEFINER functions securely requires annoying incantations[1], wouldn't it be nice if we provided a way for the superuser to override the default search path via a GUC in postgresql.conf? That way you can set search_path if you want to override the default, but if you leave it out you're not vulnerable, assuming security_definer_search_path only contains secure schemas.
>

> .m

Kind regards,

Joel