Re: Postgres restart

From: S Arvind <arvindwill(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Whitney <swhitney(at)journyx(dot)com>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres restart
Date: 2009-09-21 19:19:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

Thanks Scott.
1. Well, is this a dedicated database server?
YES, it runs only Postgres with some Back-up script for that DBs alone
daily.

2. What O/S?
CentOS (Linux version 2.6.18-8.1.4.el5 (mockbuild(at)builder6(dot)centos(dot)org) (gcc
version 4.1.1 20070105 (Red Hat 4.1.1-52)) )

3. What version of PG?
8.3.7

4. Have you check out memory usage?
When rebooted it has more then 2.5 GB free space but after few hours it
will reach 50MB. This is usual in our DB server, since this decrease never
affected our performance for past years. And also for 5 months we never
rebooted our system and also we had restart the postgres likely once in a
month, before this problem.

5. Also, when was the last time you vacuumed the database(s)?
As per advise from postgres team we are running full vaccum for every week
and frequently-used table(30) vacum daily. We have nearly 640 tables in each
DB.

6. Is auto-vac on?
Yes ( postgres: autovacuum launcher process running)

Is our problem is identifiable, from infrastructure side?

-Arvind S

"Many of lifes failure are people who did not realize how close they were to
success when they gave up."
-Thomas Edison